Melissa Divaris Thompson
New York Marriage & Family Therapist, and Owner and Founder of Embracing Joy Psychotherapy
Melissa ensures that they have the right therapist for your needs from the start. Her compassionate approach enabled me to find the joy and courage needed to make positive decisions. I could not recommend her or her practice more highly.
A blend of head, heart and intuitive knowing, Melissa has deep compassion and can make space for all parts of her clients. If you’re looking for a safe space to explore whatever is troubling you, she can help.
Melissa’s holistic approach to psychotherapy is a breath of fresh air in NYC. Highly trained in mindfulness and transpersonal modalities, she supports her clients in better understanding themselves and living authentically
A kind, compassionate, and attentive listener, Melissa asks great questions, offers feedback when solicited and has really helped me to get unstuck. She’s a true professional, but more importantly a genuinely lovely human being.
Melissa’s years of training and experience make her a wise and talented practitioner. She is very personable and instantly puts others at ease.
Become Who You Truly Long to Be
If you’re functioning in life, but struggling underneath you’ve come to the right place.
In our busy lives we often forget our true nature, which leads to anxiety, burnout and unhappiness. Psychotherapy gives you permission to fully feel, creating space for you to grow and reconnect with your authentic self.
In our collaborative sessions together, we’ll explore your past and present, identify what’s missing in your life and uncover why you’re not able to achieve what you deeply long for.
This is your invitation to find clarity in a safe space. Embracing your truth can help you transform your inner self and outer life.
Hi, I’m Melissa!
I’m a holistic and emotion-focused psychotherapist licensed in New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Virginia and Florida.
I help individuals and couples in their 20s through 40s find wholeness within their mind, body and spirit.
My work is individualized to you and your needs.
I bring an intuitive approach to our sessions, and incorporate techniques from EMDR Therapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Psychodynamic/Attachment-Based Therapy, Somatic Psychotherapy, Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP), and Hakomi.
I also draw from my studies in yoga, Reiki, Buddhist Meditation, Law of Attraction, dream work and 5 Rhythms Dance.
Our psychotherapy sessions will help you:
- Reconnect with your inner desires and find your authentic voice
- Cultivate increased compassion for yourself and others
- Heal individual traumas and relationship challenges
- Find more joy, ease and peace in your life
For couples our sessions will help you:
- Help with Conflict Resolution and improved communication, learning how to compromise, negotiate and find common ground
- Support life transitions, such as getting married, creating a family, changing career, or experiencing loss
- Identify negative patterns that keep appearing that create more distance in your relationship and replace them with positive ones
- Strengthen commitment and making your relationship more resilient by deepening intimacy and trust
I have deep trust in the unfolding process that will occur during therapy.
Join me in a safe space to unpack your life and find your authentic voice.
Helping my clients heal, grow and find their authentic voice so they can get what they want and need in life.
Psychodynamic/Depth-Oriented Therapy | EMDR Therapy | Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples | AEDP Therapy | Somatic Psychotherapy
- Member, The New York Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (NYAMFT)
- Member, The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- M.A. Degree in Integral Counseling Psychology, The California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS)
Embrace the now, to get to the next.
Explore your past and present with one of our holistic, New York-centered psychotherapists.
It’s time to experience more joy and authenticity in your life.